The Highland Local School District is proud to announce the renewal of the Consortium for School Networking (CoSN) Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal. The Highland Local School District was the first district in the State of Ohio and the seventh in the nation to be awarded the seal. This is the third renewal for the district.
The CoSN TLE Seal is a mark of distinction awarded to school systems that can implement specific privacy requirements and demonstrate, through policies and practices, that a holistic program to protect students’ personal information has been implemented. Recipients of the TLE Seal are required to commit to continuously improving privacy programs.
The rigorous application process requires that seal awardees meet specific criteria around the following practices:
- Leadership - by providing the guidance, frameworks, and resources to direct the use and governance of student data in a manner that is transparent to stakeholders.
- Business - by establishing vetting processes and contracts for technology providers that address data protection requirements while supporting innovation.
- Data security - by implementing practices to help protect the confidentiality of student data across all media and regularly auditing to uphold those practices over time.
- Professional development - by requiring privacy and security training for all staff and offering related resources to community stakeholders.
- Classroom - by implementing educational procedures and processes to support transparency and build privacy knowledge while advancing curricular goals.
To learn more about the TLE Seal Program, visit CoSN.org/Trusted.
CoSN (the Consortium for School Networking) is the premier professional association for school system technology leaders. CoSN provides thought leadership resources, community best practices, and advocacy tools to help leaders succeed in the digital transformation. CoSN represents over 13 million students in school districts nationwide and continues to grow as a powerful and influential voice in K-12 education. CoSN.org
About the CoSN Trusted Learning Environment Seal Program:
The CoSN Trusted Learning Environment (TLE) Seal program is the nation’s only data privacy framework for school systems, focused on building a culture of trust and transparency. CoSN developed the TLE Seal in collaboration with a diverse group of 28 school system leaders nationwide and with support from AASA, The School Superintendents Association, the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO), and ASCD. School systems that meet the program requirements will earn the TLE Seal, signifying their commitment to student data privacy to their community. TLE Seal recipients also commit to continuous examination and demonstrable future advancement of their privacy practices.